Possible fix for really slow tab auto completion on ubuntu (bash)

For days I’ve struggled with this new linux install on a virtual machine on my local network.  The SSH has been super unreliable and everytime I typed tab for an auto completion the whole thing seemed to lock up for ~30 seconds.  Turns out the autocompletion problem was the simplest fix ever!  After scouring the internet for ages I found this command.

sudo updatedb

It’s simple, all it does is update the auto completion database. (according to the forum I found it on) What was probably happening is the database got really big and was taking ages to scan through.  It beats me why a fresh ubuntu install had this problem, but at least it’s solved, for now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *